The Safe Office is available 24/7 at 336.758.5285 to confidentially respond to urgent needs, assist students as they evaluate their options, and support them as they begin the healing process. Additional resource information is available in the Get Resources section.
How you can help a friend or loved one that is in an abusive relationship
- Tell them directly that you believe they are in an abusive relationship.
- Give them specific examples of abusive behavior that you have observed or that they have told you about.
- Tell your friend that they deserve better.
- Point out the dangers of staying in the relationship.
- Tell your friend that you will support them in the process of leaving the relationship.
- Suggest getting professional help: the Safe Office, University Counseling Center, University Police, and other Campus Resources are available to help your friend or loved one stay safe and navigate options.
- Seek out support for yourself.
Adapted from: Iona College
Click to leave site immediately
24/7 Confidential Help Line
University Counseling Center
To make an appointment, call: 336.758.5273
- Message or call University Police
- Report suspicious behavior
- Have a friend watch you along a walk if you feel unsafe