Helping a friend in an abusive relationship

If you or someone you know is in danger at any time, please call Wake Forest University Police at 336.758.5911. If you are injured, seek medical attention right away.

The Safe Office is available 24/7 at 336.758.5285 to confidentially respond to urgent needs, assist students as they evaluate their options, and support them as they begin the healing process. Additional resource information is available in the Get Resources section.

How you can help a friend or loved one that is in an abusive relationship

  1. Tell them directly that you believe they are in an abusive relationship.
  2. Give them specific examples of abusive behavior that you have observed or that they have told you about.
  3. Tell your friend that they deserve better.
  4. Point out the dangers of staying in the relationship.
  5. Tell your friend that you will support them in the process of leaving the relationship.
  6. Suggest getting professional help: the Safe Office, University Counseling Center, University Police, and other Campus Resources are available to help your friend or loved one stay safe and navigate options.
  7. Seek out support for yourself.

Adapted from: Iona College

Click to leave site immediately

Need Help?

24/7 Confidential Help Line


University Counseling Center

Learn more

To make an appointment, call: 336.758.5273

LiveSafe App

Learn more & download

  • Message or call University Police
  • Report suspicious behavior
  • Have a friend watch you along a walk if you feel unsafe