Sexual Assault

What is Sexual Assault?

Sexual Assault is any sex act or sexual contact (including penetration) against someone’s will, without consent, or when someone is unable to freely give consent. In most sexual assaults, no weapons are used except for force. Force can include the use of verbal, physical or emotional pressure or manipulation, substances, threats, coercion and/or the use of alcohol or other drugs.

Some lesser known examples of sexual assault include voyeurism, exhibitionism, and sexual harassment. Sexual Assault can occur in different situations such as in an isolated place, on a date, at a party, or in the home of you or someone that you know. Sexual assault may be committed by a stranger, however, it is most often perpetrated by someone that the victim knows.

Sexual assault and all forms of sexual violence are NEVER a victim’s fault and help is available.

What can the Wake Forest community do to prevent sexual assault?

  • Expect all members of the Wake Forest community treat each other with respect.
  • Reject stereotypes that define females as passive and helpless and males as aggressive and dominant, which harm both males and females.
  • Communicate your sexual limits to your partner and ask your partner to clarify their limits.
  • Get involved with PREPARE and Safe Office prevention efforts on campus and in the community.
  • Become responsible and active bystanders by intervening when they see a peer taking advantage of another peer.
  • Create a community of trust.